The best part of the holidays is spending quality time with loved ones that we rarely see. If you are like most families in New Zealand, you’ll take a road trip to reach those family gatherings. Traveling by car is convenient and cheaper than airfare. However, holiday travel sometime comes with a lot of stress including detours, traffic and car problems just to name a few. There are precautions you can take in order to have a less stressful and safe holiday travel. Weather and traffic are beyond human control but you can make sure you follow these helpful tips before embarking on your journey.
- Pack lightly when going for a road trip. Every car has its own payload capacity, so be sure to check the owner’s manual in order not to exceed the maximum weight your vehicle can safely carry.
- Carry out a thorough check on your tires for safe driving. Well-maintained tires improves vehicle handling, increases the lifespan of your vehicle and provide adequate protection against avoidable crashes. Make sure the tire pressure is at the level recommended by the manufacturer. If you find any fault on the tires, do not hesitate to have them fixed or replaced.
- Ensure your car is checked properly by a professional mechanic before you depart on your holiday adventure. A pre-trip auto checkup include checking the brakes, and topping off the fluids. Once you know your car is ready for your road trip, you’ll feel more secured and less stressed.
- It is very important that you plan your route before embarking on your journey. Planning your trip beforehand should give you a good indication of how long you’ll be spending on the road. It also helps you get prepared easily for detours that may possibly occur. Some of the causes of detours include accidents and snowstorms. Keep an actual map of the destination you’re headed.
- Do not forget to pack emergency supplies kit in your car such as flashlight, first aid kit, jumper cables and bottled water to stay hydrated during the journey.
- It is also very important to keep emergency contact numbers on hand. This will help you determine who to contact should there be a call for any roadside assistance. There are lots of roadside assistance companies using the latest technology such as mobile applications so their clients can get easy access to them in times of need. Check to see if your provider offers one and have it downloaded on your smartphone.